The Out of Control Spiral That is the Digital Future

Given I'm nearing the end of my degrees and starting to enter the "real world", I've been thinking a lot about the future of media and marketing. My current path appears to be steering me towards this field, and as I approach it I am already beginning to see how rapidly the environment is changing.

The practical aspects of the papers I am studying are getting less and less relevant, as the digital jugernaught that is the Internet continues its unrelenting march into the mainstream. The traditional marketing powerhouses of print and broadcast media are beginning to feel the effects of this rise in digital marketing and as agencies scramble and adapt to this new and exciting medium we as audiences are being faced with a wide array of innovative digital campaigns.

Social media is rapidly cementing itself as a key player in future marketing mix’s and as the growth of information and communications technologies races skyward in an out of control spiral, the words “expert” and “guru” begin to lose their relevance.
As new technologies continue to emerge we are beginning to see a telescoping effect, whereby the time between game-changing developments is becoming shorter and shorter. And there are no signs that suggest this will slow down any time soon.

I can’t speak for everyone, but for me at least, these are very exciting times and as someone who has grown up immersed in these developing mediums I cannot wait to see where this out of control spiral takes us.

This blog by Tim I read on hotmix.co paints a very real and vivid picture as to the direction we are heading and what it means for digital marketers. It highlights the extent to which companies are going to have to adapt as the speed and scale of these new developments continues to increase.

Bellow is a research report I did as an assignment for one of my uni papers earlier in the year. This was the paper that sent me tumbling down the road I now find myself on. And the further I go, and the more I observe, the more relevant I think the words it contains are.

Have a read. I’d love to know what you think.


Patchwork Media - Managing ICTs, The Future of the NZ Boadcast Sector

2 comments:

  1. "The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the less I understand."
    Paul Weller - The Changing Man.

    ReplyDelete